Thursday 3 January 2013

Top 10 Films of 2012


Since I saw every film released by Cineworld this year, I suppose I’d better do a top 10. I hope you enjoy and if you’re sparked to discuss it which me, I’m more than happy to. Just remember these are just my opinions, so don’t get too excited about it.

Honourable Mention: Journey 2: The Mysterious Island



This wins an honourable mention because of:
1. It’s got the most pun-tastic name this year.
2. The Rock sings.
3. Michael Caine on a giant bee.
Basically it’s the most ridiculous film I saw this year, but I find it very difficult to call it genuinely good, like how I love Men in Black 2. Don’t judge me. 



10. The Muppets 





This would be about number 4 if it wasn’t for the fact that in about every country except for the UK it came out in 2011. That makes it very difficult to get away with putting it higher because it feels like cheating. It is however really funny, heartwarming and has great songs. I’m not even a Muppets fan and I adored this.

9. The Angel’s Share



This may have passed by most casual cinema goers, but it was the tale of an ex-con working out his community service and his escape from the harsh world into one of whisky tasting, culminating in them stealing the most expensive whisky in the country. That sounds like the wackiest comedy out, but it’s actually pretty grim at points and really tugs on the ole’ heart strings. It’s not going to be on a lot of people’s lists, but if you haven’t seen it then give it a look out.

8. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey



Ok, the Hobbit could have been two movies, this film felt like the extended cut and yes it would have been better if this had been released before The Lord of the Rings movies. But it was a heck of a fun movie to watch. It looked beautiful as expected, it was very funny (I expected a lot more solemnity) Martin Freeman was prefect and I just love Sylvester McCoy and Ian McKellan. It wasn’t as got as the Rings films, but it was a lot of fun and has actually got me excited for the next two, a feat I thought impossible.

7. Cockneys vs. Zombies






This movie sounds shit. Luckily though, it’s not. It’s hilarious and action-packed. It’s basically what Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter should have been like. When you hear names of films like this, you expect one of two things: either a film which is boring and is just living off its name, or an absolutely insane ride of fun and hilarity. This is definitely the latter. It’s fucking nuts and I love it.

6. Avengers Assemble




Fucking shoot me. I’m not putting this any higher. And I promise anyone who comes along and says “you’re just putting it low to be controversial”, I’m definitely not. It I was trying to do that then I’d stick it in my worst 10 list and people would go mental. So, yeah, Avengers Assemble was a really entertaining, funny and engaging action movie. Why is it not higher? Well I’ve never been much of a Marvel comics fan, my only knowledge of their characters being in their movies which except for Iron Man, Thor and X-Men: First Class have all been a bit crap. The start was rather dull. The bit with the engine was a bit dull. Why do I care about the Agent dying except for it giving them something to avenge? Who were evil guys, I know they were friends of Loki, but I want a bit more to it than that. And why do people keep calling the TV show The Avengers the shit one now, I like that show more than this movie. There were a lot more problems but I those were the only ones that actually bugged me, the rest I could ignore because the movie was just so darn fun. If I can use that excuse when I get to The Dark Knight Rises, I can use it here too. Please just don’t kill me Avengers fans…

5. Dredd


 

People loved The Raid, but I hated it. It was just action all the way through and I was bored. I thought, I like the idea of this film, but it’s not developed enough. Well along came Dredd which was coincidently a very similar film, but with better characters and more of a plot. Oh and while it may not have the balls-to-the-wall action of Raid the action here was still great and it actually looked pretty beautiful when the amazing slow-mo came into play. This was the film that surprised me the most this year. It looked ok, but dull before I saw it, but I wasn’t prepared for how enjoyable it actually was. Neither was anyone else though, because no-one saw it. Oh dear.

4. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World



I like Steve Carrell, he’s in a lot of shite, but when called upon to give a good performance he delivers (sometimes). This is a touching romance between him and Keira Knightly which at first thought sounds like it wouldn’t work as a couple, but really does. It’s a subdued film, which doesn’t blow you away with any mad set pieces (except yes, the scene in the restaurant, but I liked that bit so shut up), but at the end just brings a calmness and bittersweet tear to the eye. It’s probably the “nicest” film I saw all year. Oh, and nearly all the critics hated it. But most of their complains seemed to centre on how they thought the Carrell wasn’t got enough for Knightly or that it was boring for a disaster movie, and while I hate to say things like this… I think most critics missed the point of it. Oh well, at least Ebert agrees with me.

3. The Dark Knight Rises






If I’d only seen this movie once, then it would have been number one on the list. I was prepared to be disappointed when I saw this, but when I left I was literally speechless. I did watch it again though and it’s got a lot of flaws in the story telling. I did however watch it about a week ago and still love it, so here it is at number 3. Not perfect, but on first viewing, my favourite cinema experience this year.

2. Moonrise Kingdom
 


I’d never seen a Wes Anderson movie before this, and it was great. I loved the style, the music, the characters, the magical air of the story and I just felt l like I was on a brilliant magic adventure when I watched it. This is another one I think people might have missed, so give it a try. I would say more about why I liked it, but when I saw it I knew literally nothing about it except its name and that Bill Murray was in it and I think that is the best way to go into it. You won’t be disappointed.

1.
Skyfall



I’ve got mad, haven’t I? I’ve given the best movie of 2012 to James Bond, even though Avengers and TDKR came out. Don’t be mad, world. I just really liked it. It felt like a Bond movie, Daniel Craig was actually convincing as Bond and he smiled a couple of times. It had my second favourite action scene of the year in it, and then followed it up with my favourite action scene of the year. I love Judi Dench and no spoilers, but what happened to her was amazing. Javier Bardem played possibly the best villain of the year. Q was amazing. It was surprising progressive in sexual politics terms. The last 5 minutes are the best 50th anniversary thing Bond could hope for. It’s directed by someone who actually knows how to direct good movies. I like the theme song. It’s got a good mix of style and grit. Have I given enough reasons that people will actually accept this choice? Because fuck it, Skyfall was the best movie of 2012 and I refuse to take that back. Although, Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part II was pretty neat… no, just kidding.


TOMORROW: Bottom 10 Films of 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment