Saturday 12 February 2011

Amnesia

Maybe you've heard of a game called Amnesia? It's made by a small developer not a big corporation and downloadable from steam. It's supposed to be a terrifying experiance. You play as a man with no memory trying to escape a castle with many dark areas which slowly drain your sanity and shadowy monsters chase you down, and you have no way to fight them.

Now, the point of the no weapons is to make the game apparently scarier. If you cant fight the monsters all you can do is run and their threat is increased, as well as making it more realistic, cause seriously, if you were getting attacked by monsters, you would run. My problem is that with no weapons this stops being a good game. It's an experiance i'll admit. But is it a good game?

I dont think so. I play games to do things i couldn't do in real life. You play GTA so you can steal cars and pick up hookers. You play Need For Speed so you can drive in high speed races and drive cars you could never afford. You play Fifa to play as some of the best teams in the world. Obviously, i dont meet a lot of monsters. But i'm very capable of running away. I dont want my game avatar to be as weak as me. I want him to be able to fight back, and shoot these creeps in the face to teach them not to fuck with me.

So i got bored of running away in the dark, and picked up a chair to see if i could fight anyone. But i looked around for ages and i couldnt find the monster chasing me. In fact I stood still for 10 minutes and this was all i saw:
I think the terror of a game about running away from monsters is lost when they cant fucking find you. Amnesia is one game i'd like to forget.

(i'm sorry. that pun was awful)

No comments:

Post a Comment