Wednesday 16 February 2011

i want to die.


NO.



just no. this is a travesty. its the worst thing i've ever seen.

starts off with her singing. i thought it would just be another boring but nicely sung version of the song. Just without the nicely sung part. But then... DIRTY BIT.

She laughs like a child and the beat kicks in. The most boring generic dance beat ever. And she sings auld lang syne over it. Then she stops. And sings "happy new year baby". Then does the chorus again. I was ashamed to be Scottish. I thought I wanted to die then, watching this plump forgotten singer from the 90s/early 2000s ruin one of the best Scottish songs ever by turning it into a shite party tune with a background of fireworks which look like they could be the screensaver on my computer. But i had no idea what was to come. I should've turned it off right then cause what happened next makes me want to hunt down mariah carey and do things so bad I'd need to put an explicit warning on this blog.

She says "hahaha, does anybody really know the words?" And she says it like "Of course. No-one knows the words. We all know that. Why would we bother to learn the words?" Well guess what? I KNOW THE WORDS. Fucking everyone in Scotland knows the words. Fuck you, you american bitch. You think one of our national classics, written down by the greatest Scottish poet ever and before he wrote it down, it was a folk tune for centuries, is just some quaint little party anthem, in the same vain as "can't touch me" and "dont stop me now". You do not get to laugh and say "How silly is this?". Oh and if this wasn't bad enough, cause she "doesnt know the words" she makes up her own words. Now I wonder if these can trump ours...

"Happy New Year to you and your friends
And have a drink on me
Happy New Year to you and have a drink on me
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH AH AH (shrilly and high pitched)
10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

No. No, they can't. I'm shocked.

Normally, i'm all up for a modern interpretation of old classics. Listen to runrig's cover of Loch Lomond. That is a TUNE. But no, i wont stand for this. This just takes one of my favourite songs and rips it to shreds. It's what the English would think if the Crazy Frog covered God Save The Queen or for americans if "Star Spangled Banner was performed by Jedward. I want to be physically sick. Sorry for subjecting you to this.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure whether to press the like or hate buttons. Like, I like your words, but hate the video. xD

    ReplyDelete