Thursday 22 September 2011

Imdb Top 100 Part 6: 25-11

25. The Silence of the Lambs
This is one of my favourite horror films, if you can even describe it as that. It’s clever, dark and Anthony Hopkins is just amazing. And the part which really made it for me is when the main character is put in danger, and I was actually really scared for her. Lots of films can make you scared about what’ll jump out next, but it takes a special kind of film to make you worry for the characters.
24. The Usual Suspects
I like this film. I don’t really know what to say about this good parts. It’s well made, inventive and has great characters except for the whole film I want to slap Kevin Spacey for being so annoying. But then it has simultaneously one of the best and worst twists in film history. It’s a great twist, I won’t ruin it here. But there isn’t one hint in the film leading up to. Now you might think that’s a god thing, but for this type of reveal there really should be some clues. Clues that you don’t notice until you’ve seen the ending, but something. But here it just comes completely out of nowhere. So, it’s a great film, but with an annoying ending.
23. Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones. I love Indy. Well, the first three. And this one is clearly the best. It’s got the best characters, best action and best sense of adventure. It’s definitely still as entertaining as ever. If you haven’t seen it, I’d definitely advise to watch it, and if you have... watch it again. My only problem with it, is it doesn’t have Sean Connery in it. Because him in Indy 3 is just the best thing, ever.
22. The Matrix
I don’t know if I’d agree the placing of the The Matrix. I mean it’s good, but it really this good? The actors aren’t half bad, except Keanu Reeves, and although he’s playing the part the way it’s probably meant to be, it’s still not that interesting. The plot has been done before and although it’s done well here, but it’s filled with philosophical rubbish that means nothing and doesn’t really go anywhere. Really the best things are the fight scenes and they are amazing, but should they really propel what is basically just a “good” film, into the top 100. Personally I don’t think so. Nothing against the film, I just don’t think it’s as good as it’s hyped up to be.
21. Rear Window
This is as simple as a film can get. A man breaks his leg and is stuck in his flat. To fill him time he looks out his window, but he starts to notice some very odd behaviour in his neighbours, until he’ll convinced that a man murdered his wife. Is Jimmy Stewart right? No-one seems to believe him, but every time his argument starts to fall apart something new comes along to strengthen his beliefs. A truly brilliant mystery.
20. Once Upon A Time In The West
This is my favourite western. It’s got all the tricks of the Dollars trilogy, but it’s refined into a better film than any of them. The characters are memorable, the harmonica is instantly stuck in your head and it looks like a huge sprawling world. The mysteries are intriguing and that have a good pay-off. This was the last film I saw out of the Imdb Top 100 and it definitely didn’t disappoint.
19. Casablanca
Casablanca is a romance film. But it’s like a romance film for men. All men want to be like the main character, because Humphrey Bogart is just so cool. It’s got a selection of interesting characters, mainly men and deals with Bogart’s simultaneous love and hate for a woman, but from his perspective. Really, if you’ve heard the plot and you think “nawh, it’ll be soppy romance” think again. It’s dark, entertaining and brilliant.
18. City Of God
I can’t really explain this film. I love it. If it was in English I think people might claim it was the greatest film ever made. Obviously because most critics we hear from are English speakers they’re prejudiced against it a little, but really this film has it all. It’s funny, it’s sad, it’s happy, it’s dark, it’s romantic, it’s heartbreaking, it’s gritty and over the top at different point and it leaves an impression. Really I can’t praise this film enough, and even though I say watch it even though it’s in a foreign language with any film on this list, this film I really mean it. It’s a true masterpiece.
17. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Fellowship might be might favourite of all the LOTR films. The others are very battle driven, but what I really like about this film is the sense of adventure there is. For the most part the film is just a journey rather than some world changing events and while it might not be as epic as the other films, I think it’s far more fun than them.
16. Star Wars
Come on. It’s Star Wars. What do you expect me to say? Everyone’s seen it, or should’ve seen it. It’s a grand adventure and the film that started the greatest film trilogy of all time. Sure it’s what spawned The Phantom Menace, but if the originals weren’t so good no-one would’ve cared about that film. Seriously, there’s nothing to be said you don’t already know. If you haven’t seen it, get out from under your rock and watch it right this second.
15. Goodfellas
Sorry to disappoint people, but The Godfather is not my favourite gangster film. This is. And the reason why? Even though it has very dark moments and deals with a lot of violence and death, it definitely has a lot of fun. I’ve always found Godfather , although a brilliant film a bit serious for my taste. Goodfellas is just great fun to watch. And you’ll still get your De Niro fix. One problem with this film, is now I’ve seen Home Alone I can’t take Joe Pesci seriously anymore.
14. Fight Club
Is Fight Club one of those films everyone’s seen? Like Forrest Gump? I don’t know. It should be. It’s brilliant. I think everyone knows the twist by now which is disappointing, because it’s very well done. It’s got hints that you realize after learning the twist, but before you just think it’s part of the mystery. This is a very powerful and entertaining film. Norton and Pitt are brilliant in it and I didn’t even mind Helena Bonham Carter, an actress I normally find unbelievably annoying. A must see.
13. Seven Samurai
This is a film I really want to like. I like the characters, I like the designs and visuals, I like the story, I like the lines. But there’s something about it. Maybe it’s how long it is, considering it’s in a foreign language, and maybe I don’t have the patience for that. I’d like to hope not. I can’t really explain what it is, but I can see this is a brilliant and inspired film, but I just can’t bring myself to advise it. I bought a video game based on it the other day for PS2, which looked more like a Final Fantasy game. Maybe that’ll change my mind. Or maybe it’ll just annoy me for ruining a brilliant film. Either way I’m sure I’ll enjoy it.
12. The Empire Strikes Back
Again, why do you need to ask? I can understand people not having seen the LOTR trilogy or not having seen the new Star Wars films. But everyone’s seen this. The AT-AT battle on Hoth, Yoda in the swamp, Vader and Luke’s battle leading to a shocking revelation. This is old news, but still as good as ever. Also it has my favourite bad-ass moment of any movie villain ever.
11. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
And finally, just missing out on the top ten is the last of the LOTR trilogy. I personally don’t think of this as a great film, more of a spectacle. There’s character and heart, but it’s all overshadowed by the battles. Really this film is, well, spectacular. No other word. You sit there like “woaw...”. And the best thing about it is that you actually care about the people in it, not like most other effect covered films. We want to see want happens with our favourite characters. It’s all been leading up to this and it doesn’t disappoint. 
NEXT TIME. THE TOP TEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment