Monday 15 August 2011

Imdb Top 100 Part 2: 85-71

85. Full Metal Jacket
I must be the only person who preferred the second half of this film. I thought the drill sergeant in the first half was just annoying. But hey, the second half was one of my favourite war films, so swings and roundabouts.

84. The Bridge On The River Kwai
This film is amazing. It seems like a typical old war film, but excellent performances especially from Alec Guinness really make it something special. I got shivers down my spine at the line “what have I done?”  and when that happens you know it’s a good film.

83. All About Eve
There’s not a lot I can say about what I like in this film without giving away the plot. It’s about an old star getting eclipsed by new fresh talent. But it’s not just some coming of age story, there’s something more sinister at work. I didn’t think it would be my type of film, but it really won me over.

82. Pan’s Labyrinth
I really like Guillermo Del Toro’s work. I love Hellboy II, one of my favourite films. This takes the same sort of magical world, and instead of an action movie makes a dark twisted fairy tale. And it really works. It’s like Alice In Wonderland but by Tim Burton... oh wait, that actually exists. And it was shit. Never mind.

81. Amadeus
This would be a good film. Good script. Good direction. Good actors for the most part. Except for one thing. I cannot stand Mozart in this film. He’s just so annoying. His voice is annoying; the way he acts is annoying and his fucking laugh... I don’t know if that’s the point but he just ruined the film for me. He was so annoying I could barely watch it. If you can stand him it’s a great film, but I really can’t.

80. Singin’ In The Rain
I hate musicals. The only one I like is The Blues Brothers so I can’t really give an opinion on one. It wasn’t as bad as some other ones. That’s the best I can say.

79. Rashomon
It’s aged a bit now, but this is still a really interesting film. It’s a clear inspiration for some newer films like Hero, so I’d say give it a look. I like the way it’s presented with the three tales and the framing of the storytellers, so with a bit of patience I’d say check it out.

78. Some Like It Hot
This film is hilarious. I thought the humour of the 50s might be lost on me, but I was sitting laughing the whole way through. The disguises are so funny; especially the millionaire and the ending scenes are just completely mad and hilarious. It’s probably the old film on this list that’s aged the best, as it’s still as funny as it would’ve been at the time.

77. Once Upon A Time In America
This is tied with Goodfellas as my favourite gangster film of all time. It’s set over 50 years, took 10 years to make and is almost 4 hours long. It’s truly a film epic, and you’re worn out after watching it. But it’s really rewarding as well. It’s also my favourite Sergio Leone film, and his only non-western film I’ve seen, shows that westerns aren’t the only things he was good at making.

76. Raging Bull
The only other boxing movie I’ve seen is Rocky, and I really liked seeing the same sort of story going in the opposite direction. The main character is not a good man, and because of this all his success escapes him and in the end brings him down lower than he started.

75. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
This film is hilarious. I’ve never seen the Python TV series, so this was my first experience of them. And it really didn’t disappoint. From the bridge, to the black knight, to the rabbit, this film is incredibly witty and hilarious. Personally I prefer Life of Brian, but they’re both equally good. Just avoid Meaning of Life, maybe it’s just me, but I didn’t find that funny at all.

74. Cinema Paradiso
It sounds bad. A boy befriends the old projectionist in a cinema. He starts off getting annoyed with the boy them learns to love him. It sounds like retread of a story told so many times before. But the enthusiasm of the actors and the richness of the script just bring it to life unlike any other film of this type. Truly heart-warming and heartbreaking at the same time. And don’t ask me to explain how it can be both. Just watch it.

73. The Green Mile
I don’t like Stephen King. And this film has all the usual small townsfolk, magical black guy problems of his other works. It’s a well made film and it’s quite entertaining for a bit, but I really got fed up with it all after a while. I would be more behind this film if it wasn’t so damn long. But it was a real drain after the halfway mark and I really stopped caring.

72. The Treasure of the Sierre Madre
This is a film that hasn’t aged very well. But, unlike Metropolis, you can still enjoy it. And the main reason you can enjoy it is the three main actors. The rest of the story doesn’t hold up so well but the parts with just the three men really shine. And the ending is brilliant.

71. The Prestige
My least favourite Christopher Nolan film, but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad film, it means he makes really good films. The magicians and their tricks are brilliant and the mystery leading up to Tesla’s machine is also gripping, but as soon as you find out what it really is and what it does, I was disappointed and it brings up a whole bag of plot holes. It’s still a great film, but I’d watch Nolan’s other work first before searching this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment