Wednesday 24 August 2011

Imdb Top 100 Part 3: 70-56

70. Chinatown
Pretty much, it's the sort of film noir that was all the rage in the 1940s/50s but by 1974 when this was released it wasn't such a big film movement anymore. Could a film like that still work even now? Well it does. Mainly due to Jack Nicholson being as entertaining as ever and the dark twists near the end of the film. I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just say if you ever wanted to get into film noir I'd start with this because it's a very easy to watch film.

69. L.A. Confidential
Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce play cops in the corrupt city of 50s L.A. What more is there to say. It's a very modern film in the way it's done, so it's easy for modern audiences to get into, the characters are all really entertaining, even the smaller parts, especially James Cromwell (the guy who's in everything but no-one knows his name) as the police chief. One of my favourites on the list.

68. Back to the Future
Some people might write this off because it's about time travel, but they're stupid. Back to the Future is so much more than just some silly sci-fi film. It's got mad science, high school hijinks, a mad plot, some hilarious jokes, a classic villian, some touching moments and it's all wrapped up in a great adventure. Most people reading this'll have seen it, and if you've not, go out and watch it now. And watch the sequels, because in my opinion they're as, if not more funny than the first film.

67.The Third Man
Starring Orson Welles this is a great piece of cinema. I watched this for the first time in about, 2004ish, so I was only about 11. And to be honest all I really watched at the time was Star Wars, but I watched this with my parents and I really enjoyed it. So if an 11 year old sci-fi geek is blown away by it, I think anyone could have a good time watching it.

66. Reservoir Dogs
I love Tarantino's films and I think this one might just be my favourite. It's primarily set in one room with the rest of the story told in flashback. What I like is that although it's a film about a robbery, all thats shown is the lead-up and the consequences. It shows restraint not to have the bloody heist on screen, and lack of restraint is what I think ruins some of his later films. This one is my favourite though and I'd definately recommend it.

65. Life is Beautiful
This is one of my three favourite foreign language films. It starts off as just a joker trying to woo a woman, then it jumps to when they're married and it's during WW2. The main character and his son are both Jews though and start by getting persecuted before getting sent to a concentration camp. But although it's sad film it's also really heart warming, seeing how the father risks his life to keep his son happy all through the terrible things that happen to them.

64. Modern Times
Another Charlie Chaplin film, this time it's a silent film. But unlike some films don't let the silence put you off. This film is unbelievably funny. It's an hour and a half of completely ridiculous slapstick, and it's just so funny. It's hard to talk about it without ruining the fun so I'd say have a look.

63. Das Boot
This is an odd film. It's a film about a Nazi submarine crew, and you'd think after all the other WW2 films I would hate them. But it makes the crew strangely likable, mainly due to them being just tired old sailors who're fed up of their orders but carry them out as their duty. It's over 3 hours long and I didn't get bored in all that time, so they're definately doing something right. And the ending, well, I won't ruin it, but it definately gets it's point across.

62. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Jim Carrey plays a man who wants the memories of his ex removed. Half of the film takes place in his head as while the memories of her fade he realises he still loves her. That sounds like a sappy romantic comedy but it's a lot darker than you would expect. Also, the other half of the film takes place with the people removing his memory and they are not good people, but they are sure as hell entertaining. I didn't think this would be my sort of film, but I was pleasantly surprised.

61. Requiem For A Dream
Well, this is a hard film to look at. And I mean that literally. I love it, but it's like watching a crash. You don't enjoy it, but you can't look away. I don't mean it's a bad film, anything but. But the things that happen in the film I think would be unwatchable to some people, especially one scene at the end. But it's a very well made and enjoyable film as well, so if you think you can take it, I'd say give it a look.

60. Aliens
The first Alien is a horror movie, where the crew of a ship are stalked and killed one by one by an alien monster. But we'll get to that later. Right now it's the turn of the sequel which is one of the best sequels of all time. And it managed that by... completely changing what kind of film it was. Aliens is an action film. It's about a survivor of the first film and a group of marines going to a planet filled with the aliens and killing them. There's a lot more to it than that, but thats the bit that makes it great. It's still scary but in a different way and it's exciting, and if I still was in the 90s I'd say it was awesome.

59. To Kill A Mockingbird
Its based on a brilliant book, so it already has the groundwork of a great plot. But what really makes it for me are the performances. It's about a lawyer fighting to save a black man in the 1930s in Southern USA. I love the conviction of Gregory Peck, but my favourite part of the film is the main racist. He's just such a completely unlikable character, but he's great to watch. The sad thing is you know that there's still people like him out there.

58. A Clockwork Orange
I have mixed feelings for this film. I like the plot and the ideas behind it. And although I find some of the imagery to be a bit over the top, like the outfits the main characters wear, I could get behind it if it wasn't for one thing. The slang they use. It was especially invented for the novel this film was based on and I suppose it's mean to be symbolic or something I don't know. It just makes me be unable to take the characters seriously, but they talk like stupid children. But maybe that's just me.

57. Lawrence of Arabia
This is the definition of an epic film. It looks amazing. The parts shot on location in the desert are just breathtaking. That isn't to mean it doesn't have a plot though, it's not 2001. The story stretches over an entire war campaign and tells the story of a very unusual soldier. It's thoughtprovoking and moving and it's one of the most visually impressive films of all time.

56. The Departed
The police have a mole in the mob and the mob have a mole in the police and they're trying to find out who each other are and bring down the opposite organisation from their own. Confused yet? This film has a very convoluted plot, but that something I always like in a movie. It has possibly the best performances of Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon and it also has Jack Nicholson which always makes for a good film. This film is definately worth a watch for all the backstabbing and tricks and lies and just everything in it that make it a truly intelligent thriller.

No comments:

Post a Comment