Monday 28 March 2011

Turning 18

It was my birthday yesterday. It was alright, I saw it in with a trip to the union where I smoked a cigar, saw a fat Ruari Waugh, got beat at pool and beat up Ali Rae. The rest of the day I was in a sort of half hungover, half unconcious stupor and things happened but I didn't really experiance them, they were just... there.

But that's not the point, I've got more nights out to come. The point is that it was my 18th birthday. I became a man. I can drink, smoke, gamble and get arrested. I'm an adult now. And how have I spent my first day, playing games. I feel like I should be out doing something adult, like working or paying taxes. But luckily I'm not.

My gran asked me how it felt to be 18. People ask me this every year, and every year I say no different. But just this one year I hoped something would click. Like I'd suddenly feel all grown up, and know what I was up to. But no, I'm still just an idiot fucking about making just over minimum wage so I can buy myself films, games and alcohol. Nothing's changed, except maybe I'm a bit more dour. It doesn't even feel like I've had A birthday. Maybe because now I've left school I have no idea what time of year it is. Every week's the same, I ain't preparing for exams or waiting for holidays. That isn't a bad thing, it just means I'm a bit lost. Maybe it's cause I've been doing everything adult for years, drinking since 2007, smoking since 2009, never id'd since early 2010. The most recent time i got id'd was yesterday. On my 18th. And the shit thing was.... I didn't have id.


Oh well, my stupid procrastinating continues. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Well I would, but whatever. Thank you to everyone who wished me a happy birthday. I was tempted to do a blog on the fad for saying happy birthday even if you don't know the person, but I should just be grateful anyone said it to me. So thank you. And heres to adulthood. And The View's new album. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment