Tuesday 1 March 2011

Bullying... Nah, Toilets and Coke.

I wanted to write about the fight currently happening on my facebook about a boy why some people hate and some just feel sorry for. I would've gone on about bullying and how he reminds me of people in my work, that you can laugh at what they do, but you shouldnt laugh at them, cause it's mean.

But then I remembered I amn't serious enough to do a post like that. And also I signed a confidentiality form at the weekend so I'm not allowed to talk about my work to anyone. Oops. I think I've told a story about one of the "clients" to everyone I've met since I started working. But I can change and I'll start by not discussing them on my blog.

So instead, a short thought. I've been playing Max Payne, and I noticed something that's always bothered me in PS2 games. It's not exactly a problem, it just confuses me. In loads of games for the PS2, my favourite console, you can search through linear levels into some side rooms. Most of them have ammo or health in them, but in practically every game, you can go into the toilets. Nothing wrong with that, maybe there's health in there. No. Nothing. In all these games there is never anything in the bathroom. You can go in, kick open the stalls, and there's never any hidden enemies, or anything to collect. It's just always confused me why they would bother to program a room that has exactly no purpose. It does nothing but cause them more work. Maybe they have a disgusting toilet fetish?          well that can't be it. Cause in some of the same games they make working vending machines. You press action next to one, and it drops you out a can of... something (it's the ps2, you cant see what the can is, what do you expect?). And the can doesnt give you health, you cant pick it up. It's just sort of... there. Hmmmmmmm. As the laziest man alive this makes no sense to me. Obviously game designers are workaholics and also incredibly boring.
Game Designer 1: I'm bored, wanna go make some extra shit in our game?
Game Designer 2: Cool man, sounds fun.
GD 1: We could make another fight scene, or make the explosions look better.
GD2: NAH. Fuck that. I'm making a toilet.
GD1: Woah, that's crazy. But fuck you, i'ma make a vending machine!
GD2: Do you need money for it?
GD1: Nah. PEOPLE NOT PROFIT.

1 comment:

  1. PEOPLE NOT PROFIT.



    Aaalso, the only situation where there;s toilets that are useful are like, in a level of Sonic Adventure.

    Also The leet bit in Goldeneye where you shoot the guy who's on the toilet, although, you're in a vent shaft, so that doesn't really count...

    ReplyDelete