Monday 4 April 2011

3DS: Disappointing.

I was recently at the 3DS launch. Well I think I was, but there was a chance I was having an alcohol fuel nightmare where I was trapped in Game being pestered by street fighter characters and a huge dog while surrounded by incredibly geeky people. As you might have guessed I didn't really feel at home. I wasn't there to pick up a 3DS, I was just tricked into going along on the pretence of visiting the pub. And I don't like Nintendo anymore. I liked the GBA. The liked the SNES, i even liked the Gamecube. But when they rereleased the GBA with two screens where one was really fiddly and everything was more expensive, and claimed it was a new console called the DS I was upset. I felt betrayed. My GBA was my first gaming experiance and they just abandoned it to die. So I sold it and got a PS2 instead. Fuck Nintendo. Oh and don't get my started on my dislike of the wii. I'm a PS3 man, through and through.

So I wasn't very excited to see Lewis's new 3DS that he made me wait in line for about 29 years for. But I was intreguied about the 3D. It's a gimmick yes, but I've always enjoyed 3D. I mean, the stuff in the cinema is a waste of money because nothing flys at you. I loved the IMAX, i practically shat myself when a dinosaur jumped out the screen and roared at me. But while it's a waste, if someone else pays for it, I'm perfectly happy to muck around with it. So i rolled up my sleeves, turned up the 3D and started a wee game of Street Fighter. And guess what? It was blurry 2D.

You people think it's 3D. But me with my superior brain can see through the pale disguise and see what's really happening. You've been duped. Or just, I have a slight depth pereception problem and so I can't see it. Seems a bit of a rip off making a 3D console that not everyone can see in 3D. So pretty much, the 3DS is a waste if you have problems with your eyes, it just looks blurry and gives you a headache. But it got me thinking. Maybe things do fly out at me in 3D films? Maybe I just can't see them. Have I been wasting my money spending the extra £4 to see Ice Age 3 in 3D when I can't tell when Sid the Sloth is coming to eat me. Have I been tricked? Who knows? Well, I could if I went to the cinema and checked it out. But fuck that.

1 comment: